FleXU, a new tube mill technology
The FleXU technology, developed by Fives with the support of the Regional European Development Fund, is a completely new design concept for a welded tube mill.
The FleXU welded tube mill is equipped with motor spindles and cantilever rolls in place of the traditional cage configuration, which enables changeovers to be completed very quickly using robotics. Overall, customers will benefit from greater security, productivity and flexibility.
FleXU, innovative technology for tube mills
• Significant reduction in changeover downtime
• Scrap reduction
• Improved safety
• Reduced space requirement
• Less rolls, less storage space needed
• Maintenance costs are significantly lower
• No need for specific extra-skilled manpower
• Important power consumption saving
How does the FleXU work?
The forming section is made of four driven breakdown stands and a universal transition section to ease the strip entrance into the fin-pass section. The roll adjustment is completely automatic, ensuring precise and repeatable positioning with a high quality final product. The forming process is driven by direct drive technology motors, in a very compact solution that guarantees optimum traction without slipping.
The fin-pass and sizing cages are designed in a robust and rigid cantilever configuration, with easy access to the rolls, promoting faster changeover in just one hour.
The mandrels are singularly driven, which enables single roll regrinding as well as granting improved quality, maximum efficiency and increased uptime. The welding box is provided with a removable cartridge that allows easy and automatic changeover with automatic adjustments.
The straightening section comprises:
- Two idle, fully automated, new generation turk’s heads, provided with automatable changeover thanks to an innovative cassette changeover system.
- Two universal and motorized turk’s heads for squaring profiles derived from OTO HSU technology.
- One universal idle turk’s head for straightening profiles derived from OTO HSU technology.
⇒ For recruitment-related matters (application, etc.), please do not use this form. Make your requests on this page.